As we mentioned previously, your customers have questions.
Does your copy answer their questions?
This is a great way to evaluate your copy, and it’s a very black-and-white consideration. It’s not like trying to decide if your copy feels friendly enough.
Start by writing a list.
What questions do new customers have about your business?
If you’re not sure what your new customers usually ask, turn to other people in your business. Ask the customer service people. Ask the sales team. Ask the person who receives the enquiries from your website. Ask the person who manages your website. Ask the receptionist. Ask yo mamma.
You should end up with a list of questions like this:
- How much does it cost?
- Do you have experience in my industry?
- How long have you been in business?
- How can I trust you?
- Who are you people?
- How do we commence working together?
- What are you like to work with?
- Can I pay with a credit card / bitcoin /cheque / bag of meat?
- How long will this project / service take?
- How can I receive my goods?
- What other projects have you completed?
- What other clients do you have?
- How many people buy from you?
- What do your customers/clients say about you?
- Where are you based?
- Who can I talk to?
- How can I contact you?
- My thing doesn’t work. Can you fix it?
- Are you accredited / certified / approved / regulated / registered?
You could design a website or a brochure around the responses to this list. Think about where you should answer these questions in your copy, and then write accordingly. Obviously, you might not want to cover all of these points in your copy. You might not want to discuss prices, for example, in public.
You decide what you reveal, but you should understand that if another business is offering more information and answering more of their audience’s questions, we can assume that they will get a few more enquiries than you.
This is just one way to think about what your copy needs. Next week we’ll look at how your copy can and should tie in to your organisation’s goals.